E.A. Bailey was the first owner/publisher of The Mercury setting it up in the summer of 1903, the same year the Wright brothers took on the challenge of powered flight.
In 1905 The Mercury was sold to Donald Dunbar, just as the town took on a more permanent look.
The first Mercury building was located on the north side of Fourth Street and later moved to 12th Avenue north and then further south on 12th Avenue, right behind the present day CIBC bank. Fire destroyed one Mercury building in those early days.
By the mid 1930s, Dunbar sold The Mercury to his son, Donald Jr who continued to operate it until 1944. He then moved to Copper Cliff, Ontario which prompted the sale to Andrew King and sons Stirling and William of Rouleau, Sask. They published the newspaper for 14 years, through a huge boom period of growth fueled by the oil industry. Their show poster and commercial printing business was as large and significant as the actual newspaper.
As their family dispersed to take on new challenges, the Kings were ready to sell the paper in 1958. An English company, the Liverpool Daily Echo purchased the former CPR station that was now situated on Sixth Street and also The Mercury. But absentee ownership wasn’t the greatest thing so Liverpool soon sold the paper to Weyburn Review publisher Ernest Neufeld who folded the two papers into one... known as Boundary Publishers. But even with ownership close by, local citizens were not enamored with the idea of the newspaper being managed from elsewhere. That left the door open for the arrival George Derksen of Deloraine, Manitoba who arrived in Estevan in 1966 and re-established The Mercury as a local publication while arranging the purchase from Neufeld over the next few years.
Following Derksen’s death, his widow and family operated the paper for about a year before selling the publication to Ron and Joyce Walter of Moose Jaw in the fall of 1977, but their ownership was short lived and they accepted a purchase offer from Peter Ng.
Under Ng’s ownership The Mercury found a few new homes including the lower level of the former Estevan Credit Union building on Fourth Street and later its current home at 68 Souris Avenue north.
In 2004 Ng sold The Mercury to Glacier Media, but still keeps active as the Publisher. The Mercury is still on the forefront of news gathering in the community, whether it be good news, bad news, frustrating news, difficult news, embarrassing news, fun news or feature presentations. We don't shy away from reporting all the happenings of our city as we find them, and see them.
Estevan, SK, S4A 2A6