REGINA — A 12-year-old boy's court appearance on an arson charge from a Regina Walmart fire has revealed the child is also facing four others charges that include one of threatening to shoot students and a staff at an elementary school.
The boy, who cannot be identified because of his age, waved to family members when he appeared in court Thursday.
The court heard that besides the alleged arson and shooting threat, he is accused of threatening to kill someone at the end of October and stealing and possessing a minivan last month.
A Crown prosecutor opposed the boy's release and the judge ruled to keep him in custody until he appears in court again Tuesday for a bail hearing.
The arson charge was laid after Tuesday night's blaze that started in the paper products section of the north-end store and resulted in an evacuation but no injuries.
The store will be closed until Christmas Eve, which the Salvation Army says will leave it without an important location that last year generated more than $12,000 for its annual Christmas Kettle campaign.
The Army said it will be missing out on Walmart Canada’s Fill the Kettle Day on Dec. 21, when the chain matches all donations made by shoppers.
The organization is currently looking for another store willing to host its kettle for the rest of the holiday season. (CJME, CTV Regina)
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Dec. 13, 2019.