On June 17, 2021 at approximately 12:30 p.m., Big River RCMP officers noticed a suspicious vehicle parked behind a business on Main Street in the town of Debden.
Investigation revealed that the vehicle was stolen. When the officer began speaking to a male near the vehicle, the male drew a firearm and then fled on foot.
Big River RCMP, Shellbrook RCMP, Spiritwood RCMP, Saskatchewan RCMP Police Dog Service, Saskatchewan Ministry of Environment Conservation Officers and Saskatchewan Highway Patrol Officers were involved in the search for the suspect. Debden Public School engaged its secure-and-hold protocol during this incident as a safety precaution.
The suspect was located by police approximately three hours later in a private yard in the community of Debden and was arrested.
As a result of investigation, Kyle Standing from Wahpeton First Nation was charged with:
- 1 count, assault on police officer with weapon, Section 270.01(2), Criminal Code
- 3 counts, resist/obstruct peace officer, Section 129(a), Criminal Code
- 1 count, carry concealed weapon, Section 90(2), Criminal Code
- 1 count, possess weapon for dangerous purpose, Section 88(2), Criminal Code
- 1 count, possession of property obtained by crime over $5,000, Section 355.5, Criminal Code
Standing was also wanted on a Canada-wide warrant for parole violation.
He appeared in court on June 18, 2021. He will remain in custody until his next appearance on July 21.