Owner seeks to stop demolition order

At North Battleford’s  final city council meeting of the current term, a couple of items came up on the agenda regarding demolition orders at two locations in the city.

Both locations involved properties owned by Zia Homes Ltd. The first request was regarding the property at 1102-106th Street. A demolition order on the property had previously been upheld by council at the Sept. 28 meeting.

article continues below

Owner Zia Waraich appeared at council Tuesday seeking to stop the demolition order. He pledged to renovate the property, including fixing the windows, garage door, removing and repairing all flooring, replacing entry doors and bathroom faucets and tub, and several other repairs. He also said it could be done in a short period of time.

But that request was shot down. Mayor Ryan Bater informed Waraich that council had considered his demolition appeal request at their last meeting and had denied that request, and right now his only recourse is in the courts.

“We are not revisiting that decision, we have already made a decision as a council,” said Bater.

Later, council received a separate correspondence from Waraich regarding a recent demolition order issued for 1461-101st Street.

The date of demolition for that property was listed as Nov. 30, but the request from Waraich was to postpone it to Dec. 15 instead.

No motion was presented to grant that extension, however, as administration indicated that a formal appeal of the demolition order would be the next step in the process. Should that happen, it would be considered at a future council meeting.

© Copyright Battlefords News Optimist
BATTLEFORD WEATHER