Prince Albert Police say a triple homicide March 29 isn’t a random incident and there’s no risk to the public but they wouldn’t say whether they have a suspect.
Two adults, both 56, and a seven-year-old boy were found murdered in a home in the 300 block of MacArthur Drive on March 29. A five-year-old girl was seriously injured but alive. She was taken to Saskatoon hospital and then airlifted to an Edmonton hospital where she remains in critical condition.
“Our investigation is still in the early stages,” said Prince Albert Police Chief Jonathan Bergen on March 30. “We have a great deal of information to process before we are able to provide more details. We ask for your patience as we examine the information that led to the tragic deaths. We will provide more information as soon as we possibly can.
“We’re following the information that is available at the scene,” he added.” We haven’t confirmed a person of interest.”
He said they’re working closely with the coroner and examining all evidence at the scene. The Prince Albert Police are also working with the forensic identification section and officers specially trained to collect evidence. They are being assisted by the investigations division that initiates major case management protocol to collect and track all evidence. Police are also conducting a number of interviews and waiting for post mortem exams on the three deceased.
“It’s quite an extensive response from all areas of our organization to collect as much evidence as possible,” said Bergen.
Police went to the home around 4 p.m. on Sunday after they received a call.
“People from the residence were unaccounted for and that led people to go check on the wellbeing of the residents,” he said. “There were some observations there that led them to call us.”
Bergen wouldn’t say what relationship the two 56-year-olds had to the two children.
“We aren’t prepared to release that yet. We are really cautious in the amount of personal details we are willing to share right now because we are working with the family and making sure they are apprised of what information we make public. Out of respect for the family we aren’t willing to provide those details.
“I will commit to the public that our members are working exhaustively to determine all avenues of what happened,” he added.
Bergen said police have enough information that has led them in a certain direction.
“Once we are able to follow that information to its conclusion we will be able to share more.”
He said they have enough evidence so far that they are comfortable making the statement there is no more risk to the community.
Bergen said the officers, and those who responded to the scene, will struggle with the realities of what happened, what they had to see and what they had to do.
“We can’t imagine what that felt like for each person that entered into the scene and recognize there is a need to respond and try to save a life - and that of a child.”
He said the murders impacted the entire Prince Albert force.
“The tragedy is not just felt through the family, I can’t imagine what they must be going through to process what happened, but also the broader community, and not just Prince Albert, but the Prince Albert Police family that has to not just accept, but also heal and return to work so they can continue to serve the community as we deal with the unknown of the pandemic.
“It’s a very difficult time,” he added. “But we have a professional staff that work together as a team and we are going to rise to bring our best. This is something that will have impacts. It will be felt for years to come. But we will continue. We will rise up and we will heal and we will continue to provide the service that the community expects from the Prince Albert Police Service.”
Victim services responded Sunday night as well and are working with the family.
A GoFundMe page was set up by a family member.
“I appreciate that the family requires some support in managing the next steps in their loss so I understand the GoFundMe page,” said Bergen.
He called the triple homicide horrific and incomprehensible.
“The tragic loss of life that occurred in Prince Albert yesterday was absolutely horrific.”
“The deaths of three people, including a child, and serious injuries to another child, are incomprehensible. Our thoughts and prayers are with the little girl currently in hospital and the many loved ones of the deceased.”