Planning a move this month? Keep those receipts for a lucrative tax deduction!


If December is moving month for you, I have three pieces of advice: Take a deep breath; treat yourself to some extra eggnog; and keep those moving expense receipts handy – they will be worth a lot of money when you file your tax return. Here’s what you need to know about moving expenses.

To be eligible, the move to your new home must be at least 40 kilometers closer to the new work location than the old home. Generally the move must be within Canada, although students may claim moving expenses to attend a school outside Canada if they are otherwise eligible. Expenses may be claimable on moves to or from Canada if the taxpayer is a full-time student, or a factual or deemed resident.

article continues below

Moving before the end of the year to a lower-taxed province will bring another pleasant surprise: Income for the whole year will be taxed at that province’s lower tax rates.

Do I have to earn income at the new location to qualify?

Yes, and it must be actively earned. That means moves to a retirement home won’t qualify unless you work or are self-employed at the new location. Certain students may also make the claim. Income includes salary, wages (including amounts received under the Wage Earner Protection Program Act in respect of work at the new location); or self-employment income.

In addition, you must establish a new home where you and your family will reside. For the purposes of claiming moving expenses, the following income sources are not eligible: investment or pension income; Employment Insurance benefits; other income sources, except taxable student awards (see below).

What this means is that if you are unemployed and move to get a job in another province, you’ll have to earn qualifying income before moving expenses are claimable. In another example, those who move and retire will need to get a job or start a business, at least for a little while, if they want to have qualifying income against which to deduct moving expenses.

If the taxpayer’s income at the new location is not sufficient to claim all moving expenses in the year of the move, they may be carried forward and applied against income at the new location in the following year or years.

Expenses relating to the move that are not paid until the next taxation year may be deducted in the year they were paid if income at the new location is sufficient or they may be carried forward to the following years.

What expenses are deductible? I’ll cover that in a future post.

Courtesy Fundata Canada Inc. © 2016. Evelyn Jacks is president of Knowledge Bureau. This article originally appeared in the Knowledge Bureau Report. Reprinted with permission. All rights reserved.

© Copyright Battlefords News Optimist


NOTE: To post a comment you must have an account with at least one of the following services: Disqus, Facebook, Twitter, Google+ You may then login using your account credentials for that service. If you do not already have an account you may register a new profile with Disqus by first clicking the "Post as" button and then the link: "Don't have one? Register a new profile".

The Battlefords News-Optimist welcomes your opinions and comments. We do not allow personal attacks, offensive language or unsubstantiated allegations. We reserve the right to edit comments for length, style, legality and taste and reproduce them in print, electronic or otherwise. For further information, please contact the editor or publisher, or see our Terms and Conditions.

comments powered by Disqus