North Stars win in OT in La Ronge for victory #13 on season

The North Stars keep on finding a way to win close hockey games.

This time, it was in La Ronge where they cooled off the Ice Wolves by a 4-3 score in overtime. That win follows on the heels of a 4-3 overtime victory at Battleford Arena over the Flin Flon Bombers last Friday.

article continues below

The North Stars’ Dace Prymak got the goal at 2:55 of overtime from Dylan McCabe and Rylan Nivon to lift the North Stars to their 13th win of the season against one loss. The North Stars are also ranked fourth in the country in the CJHL Junior A rankings.

At times Wednesday, it looked like the North Stars might meet their match in the Ice Wolves, who held the lead twice in what was a tough hockey game for both sides.

The first period surely goes down as the roughest one the North Stars have been involved in this season. After Dylan Thackeray’s first period goal made it 1-0 La Ronge at 10:49, the fists started flying and several fights broke out on the ice at the 12:09 mark.

Several major-fighting and game misconduct penalties were assessed. Among those on the receiving end were Elijah Loon-Stewardson and Quintin Loon-Stewardson, both receiving double-game-misconducts; Elijah also got a two-minute slashing penalty. Also penalized was the Stars’ Seth Summers, along with La Ronge players Max Kleiner, Ben Manson, Kyle Schneider, Macrae Setoguchi, and Thackeray.

No goals resulted from the penalties assessed. But late in the period, with two seconds left, the North Stars tied it on Dylan McCabe’s goal from Matthew Fletcher and Rylan Nivon.

In the second, Daylon Mannon put La Ronge back in front but Noah Form’s second of the season, from Dylan Esau and Dace Prymak at the 9:07 mark, tied the game again.

Austin Becker’s ninth of the season put the North Stars in front at the 34 second mark of period three. It was a power play goal, with Fletcher and Nivon again assisting.

But Kyle Ford’s goal tied the game with 8:01 remaining to make it 3-3, and the game went to overtime where Prymak’s goal won it for the North Stars.

It was Austin Schwab who started in net for the North Stars and he got the win stopping 31 of 34 shots. Liam McGarva faced 47 North Stars shots in total.

The North Stars now return to the Civic Centre for the first time in weeks as they take on the Nipawin Hawks at 7:30 p.m. Friday night.

© Copyright Battlefords News Optimist